Hi Bill,

On 27.04.2009 20:39, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Rainer Jung wrote:
>> Any comments on this change at all? Note that it will not break any use
>> case, that already works.
>
> Just to confirm, you are looking at the significantly refactored trunk,
> and not the 2.2 branch, right?

I did the fix for 2.2.x, but looking at trunk indicates, that the code
used and changes in mpm_winnt.c still looks the same. Of course i will
test on trunk before comitting, but before doing the real trunk patch, I
wanted to see, whether the feature is needed and what the right command
syntax would be.

> Will ponder the proposal a day or two... did you also consider -n 'console'
> or a similar reserved word to indicate not-a-service?

Hmmm. What does work at the moment, and what I somehow like is using "-n
MyApache" even when starting as a console application.

It uses the configuration that's in the registry for the service
"MyApache", even when not being started as a service (i.e. without the
"-k start"). So you can run the service configuration without actually
running as a service. Now it would be logical to allow "some_stop_syntax
-n MyApache" for stopping this console httpd.

As you of course know, the only thing we need for stopping or restarting
is the PID, which we can read from the pid file. But the pid file is
configurable, so we need to read the config. I hesitate to only allow
the default config and like much more to allow the -d, -f and -n flags
to decide, which config to use. All that works right now with the patch.
What (I think) we need is a syntactic means to distinguish between "as a
service" and "as a console application". The "-n" is nice for both (like
"use my canned configuration named MyApache").

E.g.

httpd -k start -n MyApache: start MyApache as a service
httpd -k start -N MyApache: start MyApache as a console app

and then the same for stop, shutdown, restart.

Or using "-n" in both cases but adding a new flag "-a" (or some other
letter) to indicate you want console instead of service.

Regards,

Rainer