On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Akins, Brian<brian.ak...@turner.com> wrote:
> Patches welcome.
>
> On 8/23/09 11:58 PM, "tim robertson" <tim...@email.com> wrote:
>
>> . Events will
>> help Apache server handle lots of concurrent connections because currently
>> Apache cannot handle 10,000 concurrent connections on a low end single core
>> server without Apache crashing or running very slow.
>
> FWIW, we very easily handle 50k+ concurrent connections on fairly "modest"
> hardware - 4 total cores, 4-8GB of RAM.  (That's a very affordable server.)
> If you need to handle 10k concurrent clients and only have a single core
> box, you have other issues.

I agree -- but what too many people try to do is run their Apache w/ 5
dynamic language modules loaded on a VM with 256mb of RAM.

They then switch to lighttpd, because it is so much faster, mostly
because it runs all the dynamic langauges via FastCGI, like we should.

We do have a design problem, and yes, I agree completely in the 'real
world' with RAM being so cheap, maybe its a diversion to try to be
competitive in the low end field, but it is definitely a big part of
the perceived problems with Apache 2.x.

-Paul