On 11.09.2009 23:40, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Rainer Jung wrote:
>> In r814006 and r814017 I added a feature similar to Action ... virtual
>> in CGI to mod_fcgi:
>>
>> By default it is off, but it allows to use FCGI processes in combination
>> with purely virtual URLs, i.e. URLs not pointing to physical files on
>> the server.
>>
>> The most basic FCGI configurations simply run the files pointed to by
>> the URLs as FCGI processes. The improved version is mapping some
>> suffixes to a common FCGI process (like .php). The process then might
>> execute the actual php script (or find it in its cache).
>>
>> Its quite possible though, that your URLs only logically transport the
>> kind of action you want, without really pointing to some file. Version
>> 2.3.1 of mod_fcgid forces a file to exist, otherwise it returns an error.
>>
>> The "virtual" feature allows to add the "virtual" flag to FCGIWrapper,
>> which then bypasses the file existence check for the request URL. Of
>> course we still need the wraper file the request gets mapped to via
>> FCGIWrapper.
>>
>> This is very similar to the "virtual" keyword added to "Action".
>
> Isn't this the same as using Action virtual, and associating the target
> of the Action command to mod_fcgid?  Any reason to reimplement this in
> several places?

As far as I can see, Action only allows to map handlers and conten types
to scripts.

mod_fcgid allows to use various FastCGI "applications" mapped by
individual path suffixes (e.g. .php4, .php5 via FCGIWrapper).

Furthermore I wasn't actually successful in making Action and mod_fcgid
interoperate.

Regards,

Rainer