On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>wrote:

> When looking for an appropriate existing process to handle a request the
> following data is used by mod_fcgid:
>
> - inode
>  inode num of the wrapper if one is used,
>  of the request filename otherwise
> - deviceid
>  device id of the wrapper if one is used,
>  of the request filename otherwise
> - share_grp_id
>  Always 0 if no wrapper is used,
>  -1 for one of the auth wrappers,
>  otherwise an incrementing id that is
>  unique across each wrapper with the same path
>  (but different vhosts or even only different extensions)
>  ids between different paths can overlap
> - virtualhost: the pointer (!) to
>  r->server->server_hostname

I got educated on some of the ramifications of this while you were composing
your e-mail ;)  I just corrected some doc I wrote earlier.

- uid: retrieved via ap_run_get_suexec_identity
> - gid: retrieved via ap_run_get_suexec_identity
>
> If no process is found, a new one is created and carries the above data
> coming from the request (and wrapper) which ran when it was created.
>
> Going a bit through the history of mod_fcgid, it seems that share_grp_id
> was added to support a directive FCGIWrapperGroup (sic!). Later the
> directive was removed, and the id was automatically incremented to
> ensure separation.
>
> Again later there was a bug w.r.t. incomplete isolation of the default
> env between vhosts, so virtualhost was added, but seems only necessary
> for the non-wrapper case.

If two vhosts have the same server name, the default env can be shared, even
if a wrapper is used.

(I'll look at your e-mail in its entirely later.  I'm awash in fcgid e-mails
already, and the inbox directly connected to my bank account is overflowing
:( )