Hi,
here's based on input from Rainer and Rüdiger my last trial unless I get
further positive comments instead of disappointing ones ...
highlighted:
http://people.apache.org/~fuankg/testchecksum/testchecksums.sh.html
plaintext:
http://people.apache.org/~fuankg/testchecksum/testchecksums.sh.txt
with .sh extension for download:
http://people.apache.org/~fuankg/testchecksum/testchecksums.sh

tested on:
- Linux (OpenSuSE) with openssl, gpg, md5sum / sha1sum
- FreeBSD (p.a.o) with openssl and md5 / sha1

it will most likely also work correctly on MacOSX.

If there's acceptance, and we commit it, I will also write some lines to
explain how to use the common spreaded checksum tools to verify tarballs
which we can then either add to the download page; or better add a
separate static html page, and link to it from download page.

Gün.