On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 09:38:23PM +0100, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> If server triggered renegotiation will not work at all, people will just
> ignore the
> update or remove it from 0.9.8l in their self patched versions.
> So overall I guess we would be safer with an approach that
>
> 1. Turns off renegotiation (server and client) by default.
> 2. Allows to turn on server and client triggered renegotiation in a way as
> proposed
>    by Joe.
> 3. Allow to turn on server triggered renegotiation by a compile time option.

In discussion here, Theo Schlossnagle has suggested (and implemented for
another SSL server) an approach for (2) which I think we can use for
mod_ssl, and doesn't require patching OpenSSL:

* we can detect in mod_ssl when the client is renegotiating by using the
callback installed using SSL_CTX_set_info_callback(), in conjunction
with suitable flags in the SSLConnRec to detect the cases where this is
either a server-initiated renegotiation or the initial handshake on the
connection.

I'll try a patch for this.

Regards, Joe