Joe Orton wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:42:40AM +0100, Hartmut Keil wrote:
>> Joe Orton wrote:
>>> This would break HTTP pipelining over SSL (for affected configurations),
>>> and it might not fail gracefully - the server would appear to simply
>>> never receive the pipelined requests.  I'm relucant to do that.
>> No, the proposed change would just affect to buffering-optimization in
>> ssl_io_input_getline(...). Pipelining HTTP over SSL does not required,
>> to decrypt/buffer more data then needed.
>
> I don't follow this.  The second request injected by the attacker in the
> example you give is a pipelined HTTP request, and your proposal is to
> drop such a request exactly because it was pipelined (the client did not
> stop and wait for the response before sending it).  What am I missing?

The client must stop and wait for the response in any case, otherwise the
response of a subsequent request will get lost, if the server is not configured
for keep-alive, or the response for the first request causes the server to close
the connection:

client is sending two requests:
GET /one HTTP/1.1
Host:....

GET /two HTTP/1.1
Host:....

server is sending the response for the first request, and is closing the
connection
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Connection: close
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

Regards
Hartmut

--
AdNovum Informatik AG
Hartmut Keil, Senior Software Engineer

Roentgenstrasse 22, CH-8005 Zurich
mailto:hartmut.k...@adnovum.ch
phone: +41 44 272 6111, fax: +41 44 272 6312
http://www.adnovum.ch

AdNovum Locations: Bern, Budapest, San Mateo, Zurich (HQ)