I'm not sure this is really desired:

1. More or less normal/abnormal case:
s/123/abc123def/ -> "*123*" becomes "abcabc123defdef"
Substitution is made twice (why not 3 times, 4 times,... ?).
Flatening the bucket or not does not changing anything.
I suppose we could argue that the author has to ensure that there is no cycle, although I find this a major problem.
Can't we add a flag to replace only once? That would be neat.

2. This one is really difficult to understand:
s/123/abcxxxdef/
s/xxx/123/  -> "*123*" becomes "abcabc123defdef", again
By issuing to successive commands, I cannot understand why the first one is executed again after the second one ?!?
Is this an expected behaviour?

Thanks,

Nick