Graham Leggett wrote:

> On a Redhat machine (Fedora/RHEL/Centos), search
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions for functions called "daemon", "status" and
> "killproc". These functions provide similar but incompatible
> functionality to that provided by apachectl, and only exist on Redhat
> derived machines.

Ok, so they want to roll their own.  Sounds like a maintainer issue.  What
does this say for using our httpd rpm for an Ubuntu or other distribution
of linux?

> The startup script is far too trivial to justify jumping through hoops
> to try and make apachectl work like Redhat's init. It's caused us enough
> grief already, thus the fix.

IMHO, if it is fundamentally incompatible with apachectl and non-redhat
distributions, let the the packagers tweak and take the zany customizations
out from under our problem set.