On 2010/01/22 9:24 PM, Mikhail T. wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer, sir. We are using cronolog now. But it is, quite
> obviously, a hack -- a work-around for Apache's inability to handle
> log-rotation on its own.

It is not a hack.

Apache httpd isn't a single process, but rather many potential
processes, containing many potential threads, containing many potential
event loops. All of this contains many potential virtual hosts,
containing many potential logfiles.

Trying to signal all the processes, all the threads, and all the event
loops to close and reopen a file simultaneously simply isn't feasible or
accurate enough to be useful.

Let Apache httpd do what's it's good at, serving requests, and leave
cronolog and friends to do what they are good at, logging and rotating data.

Regards,
Graham