On Jan 26, 2010, at 5:03 PM, Colm MacCárthaigh wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:43 AM, Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Jan 8, 2010, at 4:29 AM, Colm MacCárthaigh wrote:
>>
>>> There is a 1.3.42 release candidate for testing, and voting, at;
>>
>> What happened to this, besides making Slashdot?
>
> I transited the atlantic twice. I actually wasted about 2 days and 7
> EC2 instances trying to document how many build problems there were on
> modern linux distros due to the glibc/dash problems ... to try and
> come up with a coherent "here's how to build, run, and test" ... but
> it's a complete mess.

A valiant effort!  And an illustration of one of the reasons why we're calling
it a day: this code is stale and by now impossible to maintain.  We have since
grown cleaner, more versatile and more maintainable ways to copy data from one
file descriptor to another.  We move forward on those, and stop clinging to the
past.

> There are technically enough binding votes for release now, though
> there is still the outstanding with the bundled docs tree (which
> ironically turned out to be due to my using dash for testing!).
>
> Unless there are any vetoes in the next 2 days, I'd be inclined to
> release as-is, with the docs tree rerolled to fix includes. It is
> *definitely* worth never making another release again imo, patches are
> far less burden than this show!

Why don't we do this: roll the same tag with the docs fixes as you indicate
immediately above; sign, hash and put them up on dev/dist.  Then call 72 hours.
 We have a quick look to see if smoke emerges and, if not, we can release early
next week.  That would also give us the opportunity to align PRC.

Thoughts?

S.

--
Sander Temme