That's new to me that browsers don't cache stuff that has Vary only on
Accept-Encoding - can you post some statistics or describe the test you ran?

As for *all* content types, I don't think we're talking about compressing
images and it's relatively easy to create a white-list to have gzip on for
by default.

The question regarding support in browsers actually is very serious too and
I'd love to see statistics for that too - it sounds too scary and
middle-ages to me.

I didn't get this impression from all the talks about gzip and research that
guys from Google did, for example, when they were looking for a source of
lower gzip rates (it turned out to be antivirus software stripping
Accept-encoding headers).

Thank you,

        Sergey

--