On 6/3/2010 9:59 AM, Sander Temme wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2010, at 7:15 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
>>> PHP should largely move to FastCGI, so module compatibility should not be a
>>> problem.  Any idea about other popular modules?  WSGI?  mod_perl?  Are they
>>> ready for HEAD?
>>>

>> That's a good question, but until we get a version of httpd 2.3/2.4/trunk
>> out in people's hands with some confidence that "what you are testing
>> is pretty close to what it will be, API-wise", we'll never know.
>> If I was just a module developer, I wouldn't be wasting my time
>> following trunk either, due to our track record ;)
>
> Are we ready to freeze the API?  I think that's our Alpha -> Beta transition
> point.

Freeze?  Our versioning policy is and has been, n.odd == unstable, n.even ==
stable.

Beta could have some extra encouragement to avoid changing the API.  Perhaps
chilled over ice?

Extra assurances things are 'finished'?

But users will probably react more strongly to '-beta' than they do to '-alpha',
and will be more likely to participate if their favorite new feature didn't
also become part of 2.2.