On 9/18/2010 5:45 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:

> What do other people think about removing <Limit> and <LimitExcept>
> and adding mod_allowmethods from the sandbox to easily forbid some
> methods? Or would this create too much trouble when upgrading
> configurations?

I've been distracted by patches which I owe to specific users, customers
and so forth, so I haven't actually had cycles to commit the patches that
float my own boat :)

But what I have are two patches, one which rips out Limit entirely from
the httpd code, along with the method limit logic from the handful of
directives which actually supported the feature, and a second patch which
introduces Method as a section and supports all directives, just as any
other first class Location, Directory, etc.

The unfinished bit of that patch is deciding how and where the section
merge will occur.  Since it's a NTP that could lead to some degree of
confusion about scoping, it really seems like that should happen every
time a per-dir merge occurs.

What I'm thinking of for the solution is to have a post-merge hook, so
that remerges can occur for any registered section provider.  The whole
<Files > merge could become one consumer of this hook.  That hook would,
of course, return a newly merged section or the identity of the source
dir config, if everyone declines.  It's recursive, in that you could
end up with a nested Files in a location, which in turn has nested methods
which are acceptable.

Does anyone have thoughts on the best way to handle per-dir nesting?