On 3/28/2011 2:53 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2011, at 3:46 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>
>> On 3/28/2011 2:08 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> Assuming
>>>
>>>     ProxyPass /foo http://www.example.com/foo
>>>
>>> should ProxyPass automatically create the corresponding
>>> ProxyPassReverse statement?
>>
>> No.  The right logic is to not use the ProxyPassReverse mapping
>> mechanics at all, they are horribly inefficient.
>>
>> Note the prev / replace pair in the request during the initial
>> ProxyPass match, and on the response side, instead of/in addition to
>> looking in the ProxyPassReverse map, perform this one and only one
>> remapping based on the noted replacement.
>>
>> Perhaps ProxyPass needs a flag to say 'no, don't reverse this',
>> but I sort of doubt it.
>>

> Huh? So how do you propose taking care of handling
> the Location redirects??

That's why I suggest 'in addition to'.  Some things may not be
possible.  mod_rewrite [P]'s likely need ProxyPassReverse to stick
around a while, too. The question comes down to, is there a reason
not to try to reverse map back the original request by the match
within the ProxyPass lookups, if it was found?

Where we know the origin url and target proxypass url (including
that of the one specific balancer member), we are all set to note
this pair and perform the reverse translation later.  No need to
search through a huge pattern table.