IMHO the patch does not solve the issue mentioned in the comment
and is not needed.
Keep in mind the difference between ap_matches_request_vhost and
check_host_alias:

ap_matches_request_vhost checks only the data of *one* server_rec
and hence only *one* Servername and ServerAlias settings as set for
this vhost, whereas check_host_alias scans over *multiple* server_recs
with *multiple* Servername and ServerAlias settings from different vhosts.

Regards

Rüdiger