* Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group:

> As said this has *nothing* to do with mod_deflate. This was IMHO just
> a guess by the original author of the tool.

This matches my testing, too.  I see a significant peak in RAM usage on
a server where "apachectl -M" does not print anything with the string
"deflate" (so I assume that mod_deflate is not enabled).  This is with
2.2.9-10+lenny9 on Debian.

If it is more difficult to check if mod_deflate is enabled, the advisory
should tell how to check your server.  If the method I used is the
correct one, I don't think it's reasonable to suggest disabling
mod_deflate as a mitigation because it does not seem to make much of a
difference.

--
Florian Weimer                <fwei...@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99