On Monday 19 September 2011, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> I am pretty sure that this kind of change has been vetoed numerous
> times in the past.  What has changed?

Probably nothing, except maybe the involved people. But I couldn't
find any discussion about this (just about handling oom in APR, which
is unrelated).

The reasons for this change are stated in the commit message. Either
we add logging/handling code to every call of malloc and friends, or
we make a wrapper. Just continuing is usually wrong. Even such
seemingly innocuous things as not adding an entry to a cache in an out
of mem situation can cause much time to be wasted for debugging. We
had that with the LDAP cache in the past.

Besides, aborting with an error message is exactly what we do if an
allocation from a pool fails (via the pool abort function). So why
handle malloc differently?