On 06.10.2011 10:58, Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 02.10.2011 09:07, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>> -1 in this respect; faster is not more secure.  We must default to setting
>> the strictest cipher choices, with a commented-out "this is faster, but far
>> less secure" alternative for those with less targeted assets.
>>
>> If someone is enabling mod_ssl, it is to secure their traffic, not to speed
>> up their server.
>>
>> And no, MD4, although immune to *this* vector, is simply not preferable.
>
> Our current 2.2.x SSLCipherSuite contains e.g. SSLv2 and export ciphers.
> So there is a need to improve. My suggestion is a straight backport from
> trunk.
>
> So what is the "strictest cipher choice" you suggest?

Assuming s/MD4/RC4/ in Bill's message, it seems that

  SSLCipherSuite HIGH:MEDIUM:!aNULL:!MD5

would be more appropriate for mod_ssl's default config.

I agree that the current SSLCipherSuite default in 2.2.x should be
improved (yes, right now it even includes suites with 40-bit
encryption!), but giving specific precedence to RC4-SHA and AES128-SHA
doesn't really feel right for a default config file. [1]

Kaspar

[1] in trunk, the SSLCipherSuite change in r966160 was inspired by
http://journal.paul.querna.org/articles/2010/07/10/overclocking-mod_ssl/, which
is basically favoring speed over cryptographic strength.