On Oct 10, 2011, at 3:02 PM, Nick Kew wrote:

> Following a chat with a fellow developer, the subject of my
> donating mod_proxy_html to ASF arose again.  This would
> (presumably) sit best as an HTTPD subproject in the manner
> of mod_ftp, mod_fcgid, etc, so that it doesn't pull in
> libxml2 as a dependency for httpd.
>
> mod_xml2enc, which manages charsets for libxml2-based
> modules including mod_proxy_html, would also be included
> in the subproject.
>
> I would of course relicense mod_proxy_html at the point
> where it is donated.
>
> The obvious advantage all round is that we get the benefit
> of Apache infrastructure for collaborative development,
> including patches such as those my correspondent has worked
> on, and opening the way for others such as the derived
> module mod_proxy_content[1] to collaborate more easily
> rather than fork.
>
> Any interest?

+1

I've been working with mod_proxy_html for the last few months, and I think this
would be a good addition to HTTPD. mod_proxy_html could also benefit from some
better collaboration, and I personally have some bug fixes and improvements
lined up that I could provide. I don't know what the tradeoffs are between
having it be a normal included module or a subproject module, does anyone have
any insight?

-aaron