<rainer.j...@kippdata.de> wrote:
> > On 15.11.2011 20:57, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> >> Timeout 60 isn't nearly as bad as the old Timeout 300 that is
> >> probably still in wide use, but mod_reqtimeout can provide a
> >> much more reasonable out of the box configuration.  I think we
> >> should keep it in place by default.
> >
> > +1
>
> What I am really opposed to is that the LoadModule causes such a
> degradation in performance.

In my quick (and maybe not that accurate) tests, the penalty caused by
mod_reqtimeout (1.4%) was smaller than the penalty of not having
BufferedLogs on (2.1%). But there is no question that the current
default 'BufferedLogs off' is better for the  majority of users, just
the same as having reqtimeout enabled is better for the majority of
users. Actually, RequestReadTimeout should probably be into the core,
but none got around to moving it.

> I am 100% +1 to adding conf commands to the default configuration
> in the httpd.conf, but what I do not like is that having just a
> LoadModule with nothing else causes reqtimeout to do work.  It is
> too trivial for people to have accidental load modules in many
> distros.

There are other cases where just loading a module can have much larger
influence on the performance (look at AP_AUTH_INTERNAL_PER_URI versus
AP_AUTH_INTERNAL_PER_CONF in the auth hooks). We need to educate users
that they should disable modules that they don't need.