On Friday 18 November 2011, Graham Leggett wrote:
> > besides the ugliness of updating conn_rec, are there known
> > functional drawbacks of the existing mechanism, assuming that
> > the module which sets the client also sets a note to allow
> > logging of the TCP peer if desired?

There is also the problem that with pipelined requests, it is not
clear to which request c->remote_ip actually belongs. With the current
code, the logging of the previous request (initiated by the
destruction of the EOR bucket) will happen after the current request
has already changed c->remote_ip.

> Looking deeper into mod_remoteip, most specifically
> remoteip_modify_connection(), what I see is that we seem to be
> leaking   memory from c->pool on each request, which on a server
> serving millions of requests an hour will start to add up.
>
> In addition, it looks like we assign memory allocated from
> r->pool   into the structure attached to c->pool without having
> registered any cleanups to reverse this when r->pool is destroyed.
>
> I think we need to look closer at this.

+1