On 12/26/2011 3:24 PM, Michael Felt wrote:
> Hence - my vote - for what it is worth:

That's understood, but the vote was concluded, and the votes by
the project committee members indicated a very clear consensus
is that it would not be possible to provide for "untrusted"
.htaccess files, in spite of a few votes to the contrary.  This
has been a topic of careful evaluation, unfortunately but by
necessity in private on the security@ discussion list, and with
this conclusion, we can begin to set about realistic expectations
for web server administrators who choose to let anonymous and
untrusted individuals host content plus configuration on those
machines they are responsible and liable for...

I'll post a document describing the dilemma tomorrow to dev@httpd,
and we can update the docs accordingly.