After going through the thread in question, I disagree with your
statement.  The PHP dev team did a wonderful job in deciding to promote
a patch against the shiny new PHP 5.4.0  that should work with httpd
2.4, they're trying to roadmap the patch in to the next release, and
they're probably right in that most people who are brave enough to use
the combination of 2 releases, albeit "golden", that are each well under
a month old can almost definitely make do with that.

  Issac