You're right that the API really needs to be documented. My hope
is that once the "make balancer-manager changes sticky" backports
are approved and in 2.4.x, I'll write up in more detail how
the b-m works and its API.

afaik, nginx lacks any sort of dynamic reverse-proxy reconfig
capability. It's one of the killer features of Apache 2.4
esp for cloud environs.