On Nov 13, 2012, at 5:58 AM, Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com> wrote:

> As to what that represents, that must surely depend on the bottlenecks
> in a particular system.  A backend doing heavy number-crunching and
> one doing lots of complex SQL queries have different loads, and a
> good load measure for one may be meaningless if applied to the other.
> How would a 'universal' measure reflect that kind of difference?
>
> Where I think you could usefully focus is on standardising a protocol
> for backends to communicate loads to balancers.  That then becomes
> something we can implement in an lb method module in HTTPD.
> But it has to be left to individual backend systems exactly how they
> measure their own loads.

Yeah, and that can be "tricky" because it opens it up to
becoming a marketing tool, rather than a useful load balancing
tool. That's why I like a simple 0.0-1.0 scale at a minimum.

Also, let's not forget that, at least which httpd, we also have
load-factors and so we can weigh even what's returned by the
backend. So even if they skew the results, we can always
adjust for the real world.