On May 14, 2013, at 8:58 AM, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am currently getting to the bottom of a test case that checks httpd's
> response to an abnormally large chunk extension from a reverse proxy server.
> What httpd does now is trigger an error, causing both the upstream and
> downstream connections to be terminated and truncated. Is this the correct
> way to respond to this?

Is there any other way to handle it?  How long are we talking about?
I certainly wouldn't try to process more than a single input buffer.

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-22#section-4.1
> says this:
>
> "All recipients MUST be able to receive and decode the chunked transfer
> coding and MUST ignore chunk-ext extensions they do not understand."
>
> Does the above "they do not understand" requirement include the requirement
> to ignore chunk-ext extensions that are too long? (For some arbitrary
> definition of long)

Probably, but we can fix the requirement if you think it might be
a security issue (or just a bit too silly).  Note that sending
chunk-ext has been deprecated.

....Roy