On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 05:41:35 -0700 (PDT)
Petr Sumbera <petr.sumb...@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> shouldn't Apache 2.2 contain the same change which went for 2.4?
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1400962

In principal, we do not change defaults in a released branch.

This was altered after 2.4.0 was released, so obviously that
principal was not followed.  Although there is no server vulnerability
addressed by this change, and although it is a flaw in implementations
(and far from all implementations) which that change addressed, it
seems for consistency's sake that if the project caused this to change
in the release branch of 2.4 than it should change in the release
branch 2.2 as well.

However, the time to change this was obviously in 2.2.24.  It seems
that a lack of attention to detail by those committers let this change
escape scrutiny.

I believe the change is outside of the scope which server authors should
entertain, and it is up to the user agent authors to make an intelligent
choice knowing the risks and lack of risks in their agent implementation
but we aught to at least be consistent between stable release branches,
that is, if 2.4 is actually qualifies as a stable branch.

Perhaps this time, we entertain a proper vote rather than a pair of
devs electing to change defaults on a whim.  Stable branches are RTC
for a reason.