As someone who's done most of the 2.4 releases, my goal has
always been to ensure that whatever we release has as much
trunk-goodness as possible. The more deviation there is between
trunk and 2.4 the worse it is, imo, because it makes 2.4 less
appealing.

We are now currently using trunk pretty much as a clearing center
for 2.4.x code and not so much as a place for "new" development
(except for some things), and so it makes little sense to have
trunk and 2.4 deviate much. At least, that's my PoV.