On 2 Aug 2013, at 13:41, Daniel Gruno wrote:

> In our documentation, we write the following:
> ----
> mod_lua is still in experimental state. Until it is declared stable,
> usage and behavior may change at any time, even between stable releases
> of the 2.4.x series. Be sure to check the CHANGES file before upgrading.
> ----

I hadn't realised that until today on IRC.

This is not really compatible with the back-compatibility promise of
a stable release.  Accepting that what's done is done, I'd want at
the very least to enforce the back-compatibility promise from the
point where the 'experimental' label is dropped.

> To a committer/programmer, this may seem totally sane, but to a user of
> httpd - and I sincerely hope that users are our aim in the documentaion
> - this wording screams "BACK OFF, this may explode at any given time!".

So long as an upgrade within 2.4.x might break something, that
message is absolutely necessary!

> I'd like to change the note to something along these lines:
> ----
> mod_lua is in a state of continuous development. Usage
> and behavior is subject to change at any time, even between stable
> releases of the 2.4.x series. Be sure to check the CHANGES file before
> upgrading
> ----

We tell users that when they upgrade 2.2 --> 2.4, but the opposite
when they upgrade 2.4.[x -> y].  Your proposed change buries a
critically important warning weasel-style in the smallprint!

> From a programming point of view, I can understand if there are
> reservations towards this change, but I ask you to look at it from a
> user point of view, and I hope you'll welcome this proposal for change.

Then you MUST deliver to users the promise that upgrade won't
break it!

--
Nick Kew