On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Tarballs/zips are at http://httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/mod_fcgid/
>>>
>>> Shortcut to changes:
>>> http://httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/mod_fcgid/CHANGES-FCGID
>>>
>>> +/-1
>>> [  ] Release mod_fcgid 2.3.8 as GA
>>>
>>> I'll hold the vote open for 72 hours unless something out of the
>>> ordinary occurs.
>>>

>> This release is scrapped based on Steffen's test results.
>>
>> I know of one 2.3.8 change to back out that restores better behavior in
>> my testing, but we don't have a proposed fix for everything that Steffen
>> saw:
>>
>> - just one process is serving.
>> - rest is just “hanging”  as working with no accesses and high idle time.
>>
>> I suspect that all I can manage today is to move my test to Windows and
>> see if that behavior shows up.
>>

> The previous patch I suggested was just a small bit of 1377398.  I am
> testing a complete revert of that, as well as the two follow-up changes
> 1397778 and 1527358.  With luck I'll even see Steffen's problem on Windows
> without it, but even if not I'll share the new one.
>

>>> Thanks in advance for testing!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Born in Roswell... married an alien...
>>> http://emptyhammock.com/
>>>

>> --
>> Born in Roswell... married an alien...
>> http://emptyhammock.com/
>>

> --
> Born in Roswell... married an alien...
> http://emptyhammock.com/

Steffen, by chance can you test the full revert of r1377398 (and follow-on
fixes), at

http://people.apache.org/~trawick/revert-r1377398.txt

(CR-LF to make your GNU patch happy ;) )

I tested before and after on Windows using a trivial PHP script and
php-cgi.exe.  I didn't see the issue Steffen saw, but it definitely used a
lot fewer processes after reverting.