On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> This happens, at most, what, maybe 2 times? Is that
> really an issue?

The worst case is "2 x number of balancer's workers" tries, when the
request is a POST, ping is configured and all the balancer's wokers
aren't connect()able.

Whether it is or not a big deal depends on the backend's handling of
Via/X-Forwarded-* headers duplicated values, or the log parser (since
these values are there too).

> And if so, since ap_proxy_http_request()
> is local static, we could certainly pass the number of retries
> to it and bypass the extra call to ap_proxy_create_hdrbrgd()
> on retries, right?

That would certainly help for the ping failure(s), but not for
balancer's workers (recoverable) ones, where the whole process is
replayed.

Note the patch does not really add cycles since the copy of headers_in
is already there to preserve "Connection" header (needed by output
filter), so maybe it's not worth handle both cases differently (but
why not, your proposal looks simple enough to handle the common case
with no balancer).

Regards.