On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 13:25:32 +0100
Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de> wrote:

> On 17.03.2014 10:59, Plüm, Rüdiger, Vodafone Group wrote:
> > I try to find a slot to vote on 2.2.x later today, but I guess it
> > will be in the evening my local time (GMT+1).
>
> Same here, some builds and tests still running, currently looks OK.
>
> One minor nag: out of tree build found another problem in addition to
> the known one for bundled APR 1.5.0. When building httpd 2.2.27, the
> bundled libtool has version 1.5.26 which does not create the "tools"
> directory before trying to write tools/.libs/gen_test_char.o
>
> httpd 2.4.9 contains libtool 2.4.2, which does not exhibit that
> problem.
>
> So we should also add
>
>       $(APR_MKDIR) tools
>
> to the apr Makefile to avoid that pitfall. I'll fix that later in apr
> svn. Basically the breakage of out of tree build for APR 1.5.0 was
> known (r1541744), this is just a new detail.

Agreed that's the fix, and there has been chatter about putting out
1.5.1 one of these days.  I don't think this is enough to warrant
dumping the release, but I was afraid something odd might happen by
picking up 1.5.0 over 1.4.8.  That said - I think 1.5.0 was still the
right call for the time being.

Anyone doing out of tree builds aught to be able to read the output
of make >build.log 2>&1, and work that out.  And most who build out
of tree I expect also build apr, apr-util individually.

The casual user who would be bit by this bug is undoubtedly grabbing
the tarball and just building the entire stack in-tree, so I'm not
worried to much.