on vacation. will test later. however,  I have looked at the svn sources
and consider it a weakness to assume  that the  expected target exists.
never getting that message, at the least, has made understanding what I
need to correct very difficult.
I do not know either libtool or apr well enough to know if the root cause
is in instdso.sh. imho the root cause is elsewhere (question: why is the
target not installed?). Without having studied the content of the .la file
I suspect a real structural solution comes from correcting what is wrong or
missing there.

peeked at .la file, says dlname=libphp5.so

If that is then intended target then that may be pointing more at apr as
root cause. however that may be a misunderstanding on my part.

in short, while I feel a warning about a missing target is what instdso.sh
really needs - other changes constitute correcting errors from
other/previous instructions and that it would be better to correct errors
earlier in the build/install process.