On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 9:23 PM, Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess PATH_INFO is the issue that affects the most people; thoughts?
>
> I guess expression-based support for overriding the default PATH_INFO
> calculation is the basis for solving the widest variety of problems with any
> of the variables, though I don't know if we'll have the right string
> operations available (e.g., substring of dynamic length); thoughts?

I think this is still missing from string-returning expressions
because you can't run a regex and return the backref.

sf id say a long time ago when I asked about this that a module could
run a boolean expression to set the backrefs, then reuse some kind of
ap_expr context and still have the backrefs available (I've never
actually looked at this part)

My use case back then was something like spitting out part of a
variable as the value in Header set foo "expr="

You can call single-argument functions that returns a string, and I
believe that single argument is interpolated by ap_expr so it could be
powerful.   A function could then have its own delimeter to work
around the problem with args.  This is only worth discussing to save
the work/risk in changing the expression parser itself. The function
would not need to be fcgi specific, it would just be like e.g. PHP's
preg_replace() or somehow in an operator (that isn't =~)

--
Eric Covener
cove...@gmail.com