I think the first point of confusion stemmed from those bash CGI scripts
you mentioned. I could have sworn I saw more shebangs with paths in
/usr/bin/, but that might have come from my semi-odd setup. I'm ssh-ing
into cygwin then running the test suite with Strawberry perl through a
couple of batch scripts I setup; I probably mistakenly ran Makefile.pl
using cygwin perl at some point. Just to clarify, the server is built using
the visual studio compiler, not using MinGW or Cygwin gcc, which is why I'm
not using cygwin perl.

Thanks for the link to the modperl apxs; I think I saw references to it
around the web, but all the links were dead.