* Jim Riggs wrote:

> > On 1 May 2015, at 10:52, André Malo <n...@perlig.de> wrote:
> >
> > * Niklas Edmundsson wrote:

> >> +1
> >>
> >> I would expect Location and LocationMatch using the same uri for
> >> comparison.
> >
> > Hmm, that assumption is wrong by definition. Location always matches a
> > prefix (a part of a parsed/unparsed url), while LocationMatch always
> > matches the complete URL.
>
> We need to be careful on that phrasing. LocationMatch *can* match the
> complete URL if it is anchored at both ends. By default, though, it will
> match anywhere in the URL if it is unanchored, and it can (with the '/+' we
> are discussing here) behave just like Location and match a prefix if it is
> only anchored at the beginning.

Well, yes, careful. It's actually the regex which is anchored, not the URL ;-)

> However, that documentation is actually not correct. This is not true: "For
> example, <LocationMatch \"^/abc\"> would match the request URL /abc but not
> the request URL //abc." Based on all of my tests, the leading slash *is*
> collapsed in the *Match and RewriteRule directives. Subsequent slashes
> after the first are not.

It's probably too old.

> So, it is documented, but is there a compelling use case for this? When
> would someone actually need to match against the multiple slashes (unless
> it's some really strange hack someone has implemented)? The only thing I
> can think of is that maybe you want to force a redirect to remove multiple
> slashes, but couldn't a directive in mod_alias(?) maybe handle that if
> deemed necessary?

As said, I'd concur for fixing LocationMatch, but we might consider leaving it
as-is for RewriteRule (and document it better), because we may want to give
the swiss-knife-user something to work on.

Cheers,
nd
--
$_=q?tvc!uif)%*|#Bopuifs!A`#~tvc!Xibu)%*|qsjou#Kvtu!A`#~tvc!KBQI!)*|~
tvc!ifmm)%*|#Qfsm!A`#~tvc!jt)%*|(Ibdlfs(~  # What the hell is JAPH? ;