On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 12:06 PM, Yann Ylavic <ylavic....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 6:26 PM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 2:47 AM, Yann Ylavic <ylavic....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 3:19 AM,  <wr...@apache.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Also I'd suggest removing RC4 from the latter suite, it is not
> >> considered secure ([1]), and maybe replace it with "AES128-SHA256"
> >> (both secure and fast with SNI).
>
> Hmm, I meant AES-NI here (the CPU builtin instruction set), not SNI of
> course :p
>

> >> [1] http://www.isg.rhul.ac.uk/tls/
> >
> > It's branded as less secure as things stand.  I'd be happy if we ripped
> that
> > example from all 2.2/2.4/trunk branches.
> >
> > That said, if you want to retain it, do you have benchmarks to point us
> at?
>
> E.g.
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Security_Guide/sect-Security_Guide-Encryption-OpenSSL_Intel_AES-NI_Engine.html

Was hoping for md4 vs. aes128 comparisons, (and AES-NI isn't everywhere,
but will be, soon enough).

While I agree md4 is less desirable, if we were going to make a
recommendation,
I'd go with favoring aes128 over md4 but retain md4 as a backup, in forced
server
preference.  And label this a known-insecure configuration.