>From my perspective - as a simple packager (re: openssl - old versions) I
run into the problem of only being able to get to 0.9.8.k (AIX 5.3 TL12).
With AIX 6.1 and 7.1 it would be openssl-1.0.0(something - do not know by
memory what patchlevel IBM openssl.base is at). Personally, I am going to
look at packaging against LibreSSL. There are only three #ifdefs I needed
to add to get it to build. My apologies for being so late with saying
anything about this (I have been busy with 'regular' work.

I will start a new thread later today - and do it again from trunks of
2.2.x, 2.4.x and 2.5.x.

In short, there are ways around dependencies on old versions of openssl on
AIX. And further, if a 'user' is not willing to upgrade their OpenSSL - why
would you think they are going to upgrade to the latest httpd-2.2.x (or any
version for that matter).

The rules change - and we (read "me and other users") cannot reasonably
claim "latest and greatest from ASF" while requiring support for insecure
openssl. IMHO - you, ASF, also have an implied responsibility to the users
of Apache httpd powered sites. Being backward compatible too long keeps
weaknesses alive.

Michael

p.s. - for what is is worth +1 to drop 0.9.7 (maybe even 0.9.8 - but must
test more)

Michael