Am 06.10.2015 um 00:44 schrieb Stefan Fritsch:
On Wednesday 30 September 2015 23:26:30, Rainer Jung wrote:
I noticed that currently the expression parser in 2.4/trunk does not
support the SSL:VARIABLE lookups that mod_rewrite supports.

The expression parser uses ":" as an alternative function call
syntax, so HTTP:VARIABLE is the same as HTTP(VARIABLE) which in
turn executes http(VARIABLE). The same is true for ENV:VARIABLE
which maps to env(VARIABLE) etc.

We already do support the syntax SSL_VARIABLE to look up SSL
variables, because mod_ssl registers in the expression parser for
variables whose name starts with "SSL_". But mod_ssl does not
register for a function named SSL (or ssl), so the SSL: notation
does not work.

Is that just an omission, or was that intentional? If not
intentional, I would apply the following (yet untested) simple
patch to trunk mod_ssl and propose for backport. It registers the
SSL (and ssl) function in the expression parser:

I think that was just an omission. +1 to your patch.

I tested it an it would work, but one implementation detail remains to discuss. The %{SSL:variable} syntax goes back to mod_rewrite. There "variable" is the full name of the mod_ssl variable, i.e.

   %{SSL:SSL_PROTOCOL}

mod_rewrite looked up varname by calling ssl_var_lookup() which itself resolves lots of variables, even many non-ssl ones. In the ssl case it quickly falls through and then strips the "SSL_" prefix and calls ssl_var_lookup_ssl().

For 2.4 and the nes %{SSL:variable} impl in the expr parser we have three options:

1) Support only variable name with the "SSL_" prefix already stripped and call ssl_var_lookup_ssl().

Example: %{SSL:PROTOCOL}

There's less redundancy in the notation, but it is incompatible with mod_rewrite's use of %{SSL:variable}. Therefore I'd say it is too confusing and would be -1 to this option.

2) Demand including the "SSL_" prefix in the variable name, strip it when resolving the value and call ssl_var_lookup_ssl() for the shortened name. Throw error if the variable name does not start with "SSL_".

Example: %{SSL:SSL_PROTOCOL}

This is compatible with mod_rewrite, but only as long as you really use a variable whose name begins with "SSL_". I guess mostly this will be the case, but people might have used e.g. %{SSL:HTTPS}, which would now throw an error.

3) Support any mod_ssl variable. Demand using the original full name and call ssl_var_lookup() with the full name.

Example: %{SSL:SSL_PROTOCOL}

This is the most compatible and complete solution. The only drawback is the use of ssl_var_lookup() which adds a bit of overhead for the general case and itself seems to be a candidate for long term replacement by ap_expr. At that point in the future it would bite us to let ap_expr base its SSL: implementation on a function, that could be replaced by ap_expr itself (and ssl_var_lookup_ssl()). Nevertheless I would vote for 3) as the solution to chose.

I will commit 3) but are very open to other opinions before suggesting a backport.

Regards,

Rainer