The nice people at OpenSSL have already committed the two patches (renegotiation with ECDHE ciphers, detecting HTTP-on-HTTPS) and I think I found an easy way to trigger renegotiation without polling (using SSL_peek).

The current code runs the test suite with 1.0.2 and with 1.1.0 without any ssl related failures.

I'll let it settle a bit and test again once OpenSSL 1.1.0pre3 is out before suggesting backport to 2.4. I also need to set up the test suite environment for 2.4 with support for OpenSSL 0.9.8 to check against regressions.

Regards,

Rainer