It's been a year, and seems to be a good time to revisit this topic
while those folks who are present at ApacheCon can discuss f2f
the merits of bringing the 2.2.x chapter to a close, and share their
thoughts back here on-list.

According to http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/ws-apache/2
the inflection point of a majority of 2.4 instances over 2.2 appears
to occur about 9 months from now.

OpenSUSE 13.1 adopted 2.4 way back in Nov of '13.

Ubuntu - 14.04 LTS, and Debian 8 (Jessie) switched to 2.4 in April '14.

RHEL / CentOS 7 are well over a year old, adopted 2.4 in June '14.
Fedora 18 shipped 2.4 way back in Jan '13.

E.g. every user of the broadly distributed Linux releases will have had
three full years to adopt 2.4 by June of 2017.  I expect the BSD world
looks similar (modulo any Apache License 2.0 stupidity we are all
too familiar with.)  If someone in the BSD, Solaris and other spheres
wants to chime in here with those milestones, that would be great.

I am prepared to RM a final bug-fix release of 2.2 in conjunction with
the next 2.4 release effort, to gather in any final requests for fixes
before we move to a 12-month, security-fixes-only window on that branch.
Once those 12 months expire, as we've done with 1.3 and 2.0, there's
the possibility that relatively few committers would collect some critical
patches/apply-to-2.2.xx final security fixes, but no further releases would
occur.

Are we ready to start the 12 month countdown as of the next/final bug
fix release of 2.2, and highlight this in both the 2.2 and 2.4 announce
broadcasts?

I'm hoping we conclude some fixes of 2.4 scoreboard regressions and
get to the point of releasing 2.4 with mod_proxy_http2 sometime within
the next month or so, and that we can reach a consensus about how
we will proceed on the 2.2 branch, before we get to that release.

Feedback desired,

Cheers,

Bill