On May 18, 2016 6:08 PM, "Jan Ehrhardt" <php...@ehrhardt.nl> wrote:

> William A Rowe Jr in gmane.comp.apache.devel (Wed, 18 May 2016 14:54:41
> -0500):
> >The .dsp files become irrelevant in this day and age, the legacy
environment
> >it maps to is entirely dead and beyond availability (snip)...
>
> Yet they are still the preferred way of building Apache by the people at
> Apachelounge. And the .mak files are preferred by Gregg at Apachehaus.

Although I've tweaked them for the past 10 years for separate APR vs httpd
builds, my headless build environments all had relied on .mak files.

CMake is essentially there, but I would never have figured out what httpd
was doing if I couldn't easily bring in httpd project files into Visual
Studio '98 a long time ago,, instrument it for browser source code
references, and toggle JIT debugging and step through within a few hours of
first digging into httpd 1.3.10.

I hope we keep things that simple, zero-intervention httpd builds, and
GUI/guided build environments such as visual studio, eclipse, etc