ap_foo() when apr 1.5 is installed, and provide no stub when apr 1.6 is
installed, every module using ap_foo breaks after the user rebuilds httpd
against 1.6.

We promise our users we won't break the binary compatibility of their third
party modules until we ship httpd 2.6 :(

That was the basis of my veto, it can be fixed.  My newest question is what
we promise users if the compile their 3rd party mod with httpd 2.4 and apr
1.6... should they expect it to run on the same httpd 2.4 with apr 1.5
installed?