In a branch of a private discussion, some issues with how backports
are committed was raised.

IMO, our use of STATUS kind of makes the current Reviewed By: a little
misleading in http://people.apache.org/~jorton/svn.merge

* My older copy of the script doesn't have it at all, and I rarely
edit the "clog" it generates -- meaning I almost never capture the
original reviewers in the commit log.

* Jim had modified his copy, presumably related to the same confusion
vs. what we call the reviewers in STATUS, but it introduced a
different misleading overlap when the work to port a fix was
noteworthy.

Do we want to call the list of reviewers from STATUS mandatory in the
commit to the stable branches?

I am personally -0 on _requiring_ it as STATUS and backporting can
already be a bit tedious, and ultimately most reviews seem to be
desk-checks.   I wouldn't mind if svn.merge required more input and
stopped me from breaking a rule though.

--
Eric Covener
cove...@gmail.com