On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 7:04 PM, Noel Butler <noel.but...@ausics.net> wrote:

> On 03/01/2017 23:11, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> Back in the "old days" we used to provide complimentary builds
> for some OSs... I'm not saying we go back and do that necessarily,
> but maybe also providing easily consumable other formats when we
> do a release, as a "service" to the community might make a lot
> of sense.
>

> 2 years ago it was decided to stop the official -deps (despite they are
> included in dev still)... now you want to bring it back? (you'd have to if
> you're going to roll usable binary packages or your "community service"
> re-built packages are going to be broken)

I don't think he said that. For years httpd shipped the compiled
current openssl, expat, pcre sources as a binary. There was no sources
package of these, although we did provide the .diff to get the
packages to build correctly.

Because HTTP/2 requires OpenSSL 1.0.2, that will have to be part of
most packages, including semi-modern Linux flavors.

PCRE[2] is unavoidable, and while libxml2 can sub in for libexpat, the
SVN project would rather we bound to libexpat for specific features
they rely on.

> Although I as many others here prefer to roll our own due to our configs, and
> not having to deal with bloat, I can see this having a positive effect for
> users of a couple of distros who when they release brand new releases, come
> with antiquated junk thats outdated and stays outdated, to give those users a
> choice of using a modern code set would be good, but requires long term
> dedication.

Agreed - it simply has to land somewhere like /opt/apache/httpd/ or
whatnot, to disambiguate whatever the user builds for themself in
/usr/local/ and what the OS might provision in /usr/