On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Jim Jagielski <j...@apache.org> wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>>I think one of our disconnects with 2.4 -> 2.6 is that in any other
>>framework, there would be
>> no ABI breakage in 2.6. That breakage would be deferred to and shipped as
>> 3.0.
>
> Huh? For just one single, simple example, what about APR??

Those are the rules of APR today.

httpd today compiles against either apr-1 or apr-2.

I don't understand your question?

> Are we going to now redefine the standards of semantic versioning??

Maybe this will help illustrate our conflicting perspectives on versioning;

  w.m.n.x

I understand your interpretation as
w == wow factor (major breakage)
m = minor (also major breakage)
n = subversion (new features + enhancements, no breakage)

While I understand versioning as
m = major (major breakage)
n = minor (avoid breakage, new features + enhancements)
x = subversion (feature stable, bug + regression fixes only)

I understand you (and perhaps Graham) are arguing there is no need for x?

I argue there is no need for w.

Are we going to move to a model where we have four part designations?
Or can we move to a model where version-minor represents *frequent*
and less disruptive releases to incorporate enhancements?