If the issue is "real" and a patch is forthcoming, I agree that we
mark 2.4.28 as DOA and proceed w/ 2.4.29 next week. I am comfortable keeping
the VOTE open longer that the normal/required 72hours to be sure one way
or another.

Personally, I don't think the age or heritage of the build-logic is the issue,
but rather a lack of people *really* testing 2.4.x until a release is tagged.
It's for that reason that I tend to pre-announce a T&R well in advance of
actually
DOING the T&R so that people can test HEAD in hopes that the tag will already
have had some good testing beforehand.