On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 3:28 PM, Yann Ylavic <ylavic....@gmail.com> wrote:

> This probably does not apply to 2.4.x (as a strong statement), in the
> meantime we at least need the helpers and give a hand at updating the
> modules, if we can't avoid extending our own structs...

I agree this discussion, outside of an interesting balancer shm
change and proposed mod_dav enhancement change, should
be largely status-quo.

I will go so far as to veto the idea of backporting the helpers to 2.4.
We cannot avoid admitting our errors in design of that released
branch, and papering over them now accomplishes little. At best
it would require an mmn check and only optionally consider their
use at runtime, with no hard linkage, since such modules can't
be loaded in earlier 2.4.x httpd releases.

Decide our fixes for rev.next and make that available for authors
to have a much easier time keeping binary compatibility with us,
even in deep intrinsic structures as you hint at.

One way to do this is to rev specific structure definitions... if the
module wants to break over the way they customized their
interaction with the structure or its indirection to members
(e.g. const/non-const changes) then let them do that at the
structure-relevant revision.