Am 29.03.2018 um 16:15 schrieb Eric Covener:
If you have this setup handy, could you check what happens if you
negotiate TLS1.3 then request a directory that has per-directory SSL
settings in it?

I assume it fails (renegotiation) but not sure how the logs will look.
That would be one big pitfall for flipping on tls1.3.

I think the expert group discussed this typical reneg use case before removing reneg. It seems to me that this

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-tls13-28#section-4.6.2

is what we are instead expected to do in the case of client cert requirement for a sub directory. The server checks, whether the client supports the "post_handshake_auth" extension and if so, it can send later (after the handshake and probably also after handling some requests) a CertificateRequest request message (without reneg).

To enforce stronger crypto after the handshake, maybe

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-tls13-28#section-4.6.3

is the way to go, I'm not sure. I also do't know, whether this is still a relevant use case for TLS 1.3, because it only uses 5 ciphers and changing the default cipher list currently seems to be not really expected.

Regards,

Rainer